The idea for the UL Community Roof Garden was initiated by the Environmental Committee and was designed and constructed by Buildings & Estates during the remediation work on the space which had began to leak into the lecture theatre below. A group of enthusiastic volunteers from across the campus community came together during the Autumn 2012 semester to discuss how best to utilise the space. After a number of workshops we have established the following principles and aspirations
- The roof garden is for everyone and will be open to all.
- It will be a space where people can come to learn and teach about gardening as well as a place for relaxation.
- You can participate in all or only a selection of activities.
- There will be a variety of plants including vegetables, flowers, fruits and herbs.
- It will have colour and foliage throughout the seasons.
- It will be a model for urban farming and develop outreach activities.
- It will operate under the guidance of an expert gardener who will set the work schedule each week.
- Other leadership roles will be identified as the need emerges.
- All tasks and organised sessions will be posted on this blog.
- It is experimental, we are learning as we go.
- If you want to get involved, just show up for the next gardening session.
Follow our blog, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
You can also sign up to our mailing list here.