A MOOC which supports students in the transition from 2nd to 3rd level education in Ireland.
There are a number of factors cited that make it difficult for students to adjust to third level life including: financial pressures; the wrong choice of programme or module; difficulties with making friends or being homesick; and difficulties with adjusting to new ways of learning. This MOOC has been designed to address the needs of students making this transition from 2nd to 3rd level education. The MOOC is available to second level students in Ireland from transition year to leaving certificate. The MOOC combines online content with optional teacher led classroom activities, online forums and quizzes. Digital Badges are awarded to participants.
About this MOOC
• Prepares students for their journey into higher education.
• Enables students to learn and collaborate online with their peers.
• Provides students with an understanding of the type of learning required at third level.
• Enhances the transition to higher education through improved access and greater student retention.
• Provides Principals, Guidance Counsellors and Teachers with a range of online resources and support materials they can activate in the classroom or integrate into existing career guidance subjects or transition year programmes.
Pathway 1: Self-Directed - Participants complete the MOOC on their own.
Pathway 2: Teacher-Facilitated - Participants complete the MOOC with their class, facilitated by their teacher.
6 hours of core learning + 3 hours of optional classroom activities.
Participate over 6 weeks or 12 weeks.
To find out more go to: http://www.getready.education/
An information flyer is available here.