Department of Physics and Energy
University of Limerick
Student drop-in consultation hours
PH4102 Waves/Light/Modern Physics
PH4061 Quantum Mechanics
Course Director for LM096:BSc (Ed) in Physical Science
2013-present: Lecturer in Physics, University of Limerick, Ireland
2005-2013: Scientist in the Theory Modelling and Design Center at Tyndall National Institute,
University College Cork, Ireland
2003-2005: Postdoctoral fellow in Computational Biophysics at Ecole Polytechnique (Advisor: Prof Thomas Simonson)
1999-2003: PhD in Computational Chemistry at University of Limerick (Supervisor: Prof Kieran Hodnett)
Research interests: modelling and design of nanostructured materials for technology applications.
We design novel architectures and assemblies based on the directed self-assembly of nanoscale building blocks (molecules, monolayers, nanoparticles, and proteins) in collaboration with leading experimental and industry partners in European Framework, Science Foundation Ireland and Enterprise Ireland funded projects. Atomic-resolution modelling of assemblies containing up to a few million atoms is performed using high performance computing facilities at the Materials and Surface Science Institute UL, the Irish Centre for High End Computing and supercomputing centers throughout mainland Europe.
(for full list, see Google Scholar Damien Thompson):
1. Li, Y.; Nerngchamnong, N.; Cao, L.; Hamoudi, H.; Del Barco, E.; Roemer, M.; Sriramula, R.; Thompson, D.; Nijhuis, C.A. (2015) Controlling the direction of rectification in a molecular diode. Nature Communications, accepted.
2. Nirmalraj, P.; Thompson, D.; Molina-Ontoria, A.; Sousa, M.; Martín, N.; Gotsmann, B.; Riel, H. (2014) Nanoelectrical analysis of single molecules and atomic-scale materials at the solid/liquid interface. Nature Materials, 13, 947–953.
3. Nerngchamnong, N.; Li, Y.; Qi, D.; Jian, L.; Thompson, D.; Nijhuis, C.A. (2013) The Role of van der Waals Forces in the Performance of Molecular Diodes.Nature Nanotechnology, 8, 113-118.
4. Thompson, D.; Hermes, J.P.; Quinn, A.J.; Mayor, M. (2012) Scanning the Potential Energy Surface for Synthesis of Dendrimer-Wrapped Gold Clusters: Design Rules for True Single-Molecule Nanostructures. ACS Nano, 6, 3007–3017.
5. Perl, A.; Gomez-Casado, A.; Thompson, D.; Dam, H.; Jonkheijm, P.; Reinhoudt, D.; Huskens, J. (2011). Gradient-driven motion of multivalent ligand molecules along a surface functionalized with multiple receptors. Nature Chemistry, 3, 317-322.