Applications are invited for the following position:
Faculty of Science & Engineering - Department of Mathematics & Statistics
Programme Manager – Centre for Research Training (Specific Purpose Contract)
Salary Scale: €49,319 - €70,031 p.a. pro rata
Further information for applicants and application material is available online from: http://www.ul.ie/hrvacancies/
The closing date for receipt of applications is Thursday, 9th May 2019.
Applications must be completed online before 12 noon, Irish Standard Time on the closing date.
We are seeking to appoint a Programme Manager (PM) for the newly funded Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) Centre for Research Training (CRT): Foundations of Data Science for Industry and Enterprise, led by the Mathematics Applications Consortium for Science and Industry (MACSI); within the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Limerick in close collaboration with University College Dublin and Maynooth University and ICT Technology Ireland Skillnet.
The PM will be responsible for ensuring the smooth day-to-day operation of the CRT. The CRT will provide approximately 140 students with core technical skills, bespoke training in PhD-level research, research impact and entrepreneurship. CRT in Foundations of Data Science graduates will be uniquely adaptable to the rapidly evolving needs of Ireland’s data science industry. The PM will also be the main point of contact for the 84 academic collaborators across the University of Limerick, University College Dublin and Maynooth University, 30 industry and enterprise partners, 82 international collaborators and the funding agency, SFI. The PM will take an active role within the CRT Executive Management Committee. The PM will contribute other activities such as public engagement, coordinating the training programme and supporting funding applications to support CRT’s sustainability plan.
The Programme Manager will proactively support the CRT across the University of Limerick, University College Dublin and Maynooth University. This is a diverse role, involving many varied activities, including the following:
- Overseeing the day-to-day running of the CRT.
- Proactively supporting the recruitment of high quality national and international students.
- Managing budgets and payments relating to the CRT.
- Managing the documentation and on-going maintenance of internal policies and procedures as they relate to recruitment, progression, assessment and graduation of students as well as to the development of training material.
- Developing and maintaining systems to capture and convert existing informal training in to formal credits.
- Liaising with industry partners to assess industry-training needs, in conjunction with ICT Technology Ireland Skillnet.
- Liaising with internal and external partners to develop, plan and schedule transferable skills training for PhD students.
- Disseminating information to the PhD researchers, supervisors and industry and enterprise pertaining events and training etc.
- Leading liaison with academic collaborators, industry partners and funding bodies, including representing CRT at industrial and academic events.
- Coordinating international and industrial placements for PhD students.
- Coordinating and organising single student cohort and multi-cohorts events.
- Reporting on the CRT’s achievements to SFI and other relevant bodies and publicising the CRT’s capabilities.
- Preparation of operational summary reports as needed for SFI
- Coordinating site review(s).
- Facilitating industry meetings to develop collaborative research projects.
- Liaising with other groups across UL, including the Graduate School, Department of Continuous and Professional Education, Research Office, Finance Office, Library, Buildings and Estates, and across UCD and MU as appropriate.
- Overseeing the CRT website and social media platforms.
- Organising regular industry-academic interdisciplinary workshops.
- Supporting the FUSE’s equality diversity and inclusion (EDI) initiatives.
- Co-ordinating outreach activities.
• A third level degree ideally in a STEM (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics) discipline. Essential
• Postgraduate qualification STEM (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics) or other relevant discipline.
• Demonstrable experience in large-scale project/programme management. Essential
• Minimum 7 years’ experience in a relevant area. Essential
• Track record of coordinating educational programmes including student recruitment. Desirable
• Experience of industry-academic collaboration. Desirable
• Experience of budget management and liaising with funding agencies. Desirable
• Experience of working in an academic and/or industrial environment. Desirable
• Experience of working with multinational companies and/or small and medium enterprises. Desirable
• Experience of organising conferences and other academic events.
• Knowledge of structured PhD programmes in Ireland. Essential
• Knowledge of the Irish and EU funding landscape. Desirable
• Familiarity with the ‘study group with industry’ format. Desirable
• Excellent project management and project planning skills. Essential
• Excellent interpersonal skills.• Essential
• Excellent organisational skills. Essential
• Impeccable written English. Essential
• Excellent communication skills. Essential
Please note your application must include:
A letter of introduction indicating how you meet the criteria outlined in the Job description.
A completed online Application Form (separate application forms must be submitted for each post applied for).
Please email email@example.com if you experience any difficulties
Applications are welcome from suitably qualified candidates.
The University of Limerick holds a Bronze Athena SWAN award in recognition of our commitment to advancing equality in higher education. The University is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to selection on merit welcoming applicants from all sections of the community. The University has a range of initiatives to support a family friendly working environment, including flexible working.
“The University of Limerick has implemented a “Smoke and Vape Free Campus Policy”. Smoking and vaping in all forms is prohibited.”