One of the best forms of defense against these types of attacks is user vigilance and awareness.
Here are some simple things you can do to help avoid a Phishing type attack:
- Do not share your Computer Account Password with anyone
- Be careful of emails requesting you to verify your login details. ITD will never ask you to do this over email
- Do not click on links or attachments from senders that you do not recognise
- Do not provide any sensitive personal information over email • Watch for email senders that use suspicious or misleading domain names
- If you are unsure an email is legitimate DO Not Open It! Contact ITD at the earliest opportunity
- Be wary of phone calls claiming to be from help desks especially if they request to go to a website
- Ensure your device is running an up to date anti-virus application and your operating system is fully patched.
- Do not register your UL address on numerous external sites, websites, forums or email distribution lists - except those for University related purposes
- If you suspect your account has been compromised contact ITD and change your account password immediately using UL’s Self-Service Password Reset Portal (https://passwordreset.ul.ie/)