Project Name - Panopto Lecture Capture Project
What’s the project about?
The main purpose of the project is to facilitate the Academic Principle (published and approved by COVID Academic Monitoring Planning Group) that Academics would pre-record lectures and that face to face time would be prioritized for tutorials.
To enable this, Lecture Capture technology (both software and hardware) was required to be available in teaching spaces and accessed remotely via UL Managed devices.
“Panopto” is the leading video content management system for Higher Education and has been selected by the University of Limerick for this project, with a campus wide license secured in August 2020.
In addition, ITD purchased recording equipment for lecture capture with over one hundred and twenty teaching spaces now equipped with recording facilities.
ITD also purchased mobile video and audio recording kits which can be used in non-standard teaching spaces to record hi-quality audio and video resources. Each kit consists of a high-end recording equipment which will be allocated to each faculty.
What does it mean for you?
- Record video content from any PC, Mac or mobile device and is available in primary teaching spaces on Campus.
- Full control of the recording process (on-screen presentation with audio\video camera).
- Recordings can be edited and slides can be attached with interactive quizzes.
- Playlists can be created to easily group related recordings for your students.
- Recorded content is shared in a secure manner and Staff have control over when a resource is shared and with whom.
- Assignment folders can be setup in Sulis where students can simply, and securely, upload their video assignments for review
- Panopto provides a simpler method of accessing video content.
- Video recording will be available for viewing directly in Sulis. The online web player is compatible with all PC, Mac and mobile devices.
- Access to any video shared in their video library.
- Ability to review key sections of the lecture recordings to assist in the learning process.
- Easily search any video for specific words or phrases, enabling Students to quickly find relevant information.
- Ability to change the video quality & playback speed based on their own specific needs and broadband connection speed.
The project is in the Execute Phase, status Green.
Semester 1 Usage Figures
- 8.7 Million Minutes delivered (6093 days)
- On Average 8500 Unique users of Panopto each week
- 676,741 views/downloads of videos in Panopto
- 11,750 registered users
- Over 8000 videos created
The following is a summary of the key project activities and their status.
Further information on Panopto is available on TOPdesk portal and also on the LTF Website.