Project Name Network and Email Account Management
One of the strategic IT projects that is within the portfolio of modernisation initiatives was the review and update UL’s IT Policies. All users of the University of Limerick’s Network and Computing Resources are subject to the following University of Limerick IT Policies;
- The University of Limerick’s Acceptable Usage policy
- The University of Limerick’s IT Security Policy
The two policies referred to above were approved by the Governing Authority of the University last September and can be found on the ITD website at:- https://ulsites.ul.ie/itd/policies-procedures
The project aims to ensure that any access to University network and email resources, is for University use only, is not excessive and is maintained in an appropriate manner, in line with UL’s IT Policies.
Network and Email Account Management Project
The project includes a review of procedures surrounding the maintenance of UL network and email accounts. It incorporates some additional automation of the processes to grant, maintain and expire the accounts. An audit of all existing accounts was conducted as part of the project to ensure the accounts are provisioned in line with UL Policies.
The overall project is in the Sustain Phase, status Green.
The following table outlines the key ‘high-level’ phases within the overall project.
||Planned Start Dates
||Review and update procedures and working guidelines for maintaining network and email accounts.
||Deliver additional automation of processes to grant, maintain and expire network and email accounts.
||Audit of all existing ‘non student’ accounts
||Post Project / Business as Usual
ITD will keep you informed on key developments as projects, or business as usual continuous improvement initiatives evolve. More detailed communications will be issued to users directly impacted by any changes.
Why are we doing this?
- ·To implement controls that are required in order to ensure that the University of Limerick remains compliant with Data Protection laws.
- ·To improve efficiency of processes through automation.
- ·To reduce Microsoft licensing costs paid by the University of Limerick
- ·To reduce user support costs - with the adoption of newer technologies and enhanced collaboration tools, the need for some accounts will be removed, and so will the costs associated with supporting those users.
Impacted Services/What does it mean for you?
- You may notice some changes as you may receive automated emails when your account is about to expire, or asking you notify us of changes in the details we hold on your account like your ID number, or Department.
- If you are a Head of Department, you will receive requests to sign off on ID Cards for contractors/employees of approved suppliers working for your department or to re-approve temporary ‘guest’ accounts. - exceptional basis only – all users must ensure that any access to UL assets, which they grant to others, is for University use only, is not excessive and is maintained in an appropriate manner.
- If you are employed by an Affilliate/Subsidary/Supplier of UL you will be required to attain approval for your account and a UL ‘Authorised User’ ID Card on a regular basis, you will receive automated emails when your account is about to expire or is in need of review. Following the HR ID Card Policy https://www.ul.ie/hr/current-staff/hr-policies-procedures-forms-z.