fbpx FAQ | University of Limerick arrow
Search icon


How do I register with disability services?

Link to registration

If I am registered with Disability Services, are my lecturers automatically notified of my disability and need for accommodations?

No. We cannot provide information about your disability to anyone on campus without your consent. With your consent university staff are informed of the accommodations you will need for the semester and not the nature of the disability.

Can I get extra academic help?

Disability services provides some group classes to help students academically. Please contact the student support officer if you have any questions regarding this.  

The C-Pen Exam Reader pen scanner is an electronic pen the uses text to speech to read aloud printed text. The C-Pen Exam Reader is an orange portable, pocket-sized device that reads text out aloud with an English human-like digital voice used instead of a human reader.

This device means students who have reading difficulties such as dyslexia can independently take exams knowing that they can read and understand the questions.  Students using the pen bring their own in-ear headphones to use with the reading pen via 3.5mm headphone socket. All students are given the opportunity to train on the reading pen prior to exams.

The reading pens have been used in UL for the last four years by first years through to postgraduate students. The reading pen is also available as a reasonable accommodation in the Leaving Cert resulting in more and more students entering college and university already trained on how to use the reading pen in exams.

Below is a very short video on the exam reader pen.