- Within the international base metal mining industry, system dynamics modelling of the decision making process, so as to evaluate the significance of environmental policy within investment decisions. A working model has been completed.
- Sustainability indicators for the Mid-west Region: development of a set of indicators which are considered most important by community groups, are acceptable to Local Authorities, and are capable of quantification and monitoring.
- Environmental risk assessment of abandoned mine sites and active mine sites. Development of a computerised system for the assessment of risk associated with these sites. Testing of the system through detailed study of Silvermines abandoned mine site and various active mine sites within Ireland.
- Biodiversity within Burren grasslands. Identification of factors important within the maintenance of species rich limestone grasslands. Identification of management prescriptions which might be expected to maintain biodiversity within these grasslands.
- Biodiversity maintenance within lowland farmland using birds as indicators: the relationship between field boundary habitats and avifauna biodiversity.
- Restoration of species rich communities in abandoned mine sites.
Burren soils and diamictons
- Geochemical and mineralogical characteristics of soils and diamictons in the south-eastern Burren. Implications for flora. Implications for environmental history (glaciation, mass movement).
Post Graduate Research Students